Friday, June 19, 2009

To Pass or not to Pass, that is the question


This week I need to make another very. important. decision; whether or not to buy a Rail pass for my trip. Based on the fares I found on the Swiss Rail site a two month/three country Eurail Select Pass will save me approximately one-hundred dollars off the first class fare. But then I have to factor in the cost of a seat reservation if I want to be sure of a place on the train to call my own. The reservation fee from what I can tell, will cost anywhere from five Euro up to just over one hundred Euro for an overnight or high speed reservation.

Since I will have to go to the train station to check the schedule and buy the reservation anyway, I am wondering if I am actually saving anything at all, including time. Factor in the need to protect the flimsy piece of paper that is the pass itself and the fact that there are some discounted fares that I would eligible for once in country into the equation and I think I might be better off by purchasing point to point tickets on an as needed basis. That is still just as flexible and looks like it will cost about the same anyway.

Anyone for Rochambeau?

No comments: